Business Investment Visas

If you are starting a business, purchasing a business or looking to invest in another business, the US is the best place to start. There is no mistake in investing in the wealthiest and most prosperous country in the world. As an investor, you have many options to live and work in the US.

If you are looking to invest in the US, there are mainly two options:

  • E-2 Visa for Investors and
  • EB-5 Visa for Immigrant Investors (please see EB-5 section under “Green Cards” category)

This section contains information on E-2 non-immigrant visas only. For information on EB-5 immigrant visas, please see our section under “Green Cards.”

What’s the difference between E-2 and EB-5?

E-2 is a non-immigrant visa category for persons seeking to enter the US as an investor. For persons already in the US, they can change legal status to that of an E-2 investor if they invest a substantial amount of money in the US. E-2 status is not for permanent residence and does not automatically lead to a green card. However, an E-2 investor may remain in the US for as long as the investment business continues to operate. For an E-2 investor to obtain permanent residence in the US (green card), they must apply separately. For more information about permanent residence, please see our sections under “Green Cards.”

EB-5 is an immigrant visa category for persons investing at least $500,000 in the US. Persons investing under the EB-5 category will receive permanent residence (green card) in the US. For more information on EB-5 processing, please see our section under “Green Cards.”

How do I qualify for E-2?

To qualify as an E-2 investor, you must:

  • Be a citizen of an E-2 treaty country with the US. Click here for a list of E-2 treaty countries.
  • Own at least 50% of the E-2 investment business.
  • Actively direct and develop your E-2 investment business.
  • Make a substantial investment in the US. This amount varies depending on type and location of your business.
  • Have control of your investment funds.

How Do I Begin?

Call us to speak with an immigration lawyer. We will guide you through the entire E-2 process. Our immigration lawyers are experts in business immigration and can help you through the step-by-step process from start to finish.

Contact Us

1 Step 1
First Name
Last Name
0 /
powered by FormCraft